Old July 5th 04, 07:21 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
New user. I know I may (hopefully not) get 9 angry replies and 1 who
understands my ignorance and will provide an articulate reponse, but
I'll take my chances.

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed. Does
anyone *really* care? Is 'big brother' really going to bust through
my front door with a SWAT team? Of the 1+ million HAM operators, how
many are actually fined each year for doing what I'm considering?

If I stick with it instead of packing the radio up and putting it next
to my photography equipment, I will get licensed, I promise.

Also, even if I *really do* need a license to transmit, I don't need a
license to turn the radio on and listen, do I?

You need no license at all to listen. But yes, you do need one to
transmit. The FCC is taking a very dim view of unlicensed operation.
Until you have passed the examination and have a callsign duly issued to
you by the FCC, any transmissions you make will be illegal and will lead
to legal action by the FCC. If you decide to do so, be sure you have a
hefty surplus of cash -- the fines are up to $10,000 PER INCIDENT.

A ham license is not very difficult to obtain these days. You don't
even need to pass a Morse Code test, if you just want to get up on VHF
and higher frequencies (including the 2m band you mentioned) and talk
locally. Pick up a copy of the book, "Now You're Talking," from the
ARRL (
www.arrl.org) or through your local bookstore. It has all the
information you will need to pass the test.

For HF privileges, a five-words-per-minute Morse test is required at
this time. (Many countries are dropping the Morse requirement for HF
privileges, and it's entirely possible the US will follow suit in due
course.)

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS