Old July 5th 04, 04:34 PM
John

"Finch" wrote in message

So my questions a
1. Will this work?
2. Is a standard automotive antenna long enough. I can temperairly
lengthen it with a piece of stiff wire or something.
3. Is it better to attach it to the radio by clipping it onto the
telescoping antenna or the antenna input jack.

Thanks for your input.

I don't think this arrangement would be practical especially at highway
speeds - the connections would likely come apart. Its also prone to noise
pickup and your lead-in wire will be very close to the vehicle body.

I think the standard antenna is long enough for casual listening and it
could be improved upon with an antenna tuner. I've used an HF receiver in
the car with the stock antenna (no tuner) with surprisingly good results.

The best approach would be to take the antenna coax off of the back of the
car radio and run it into the DX-390. You should be able to locate the
connectors and adapters for this at Radio Shack. I did this in a car I used
to drive and I also installed a coax switch so I could switch the antenna
back and forth between radios.

I don't know what the audio from the DX-390 is like but audio is also a
concern while mobile. You may need to go with a speaker mounted close to
the drivers position or run the audio back into the vehicles sound system.

Good Luck.