Old July 7th 04, 03:18 AM
GrtPmpkin32

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed.

In a letter to a resident identified as Joseph A. Mosbergen, the FCC
says that
he or someone
in his residence has been operating radio-transmitting equipment on
several Los
Angeles area
Two Meter Amateur Radio repeaters.

What I can't quite figure out is why he doesn't just go ahead and get his
ticket. To get onto 2 meters is like the easiest license class to get. Spend an
hour looking at a Now You're Talking book or even studying online fer cryin'
out loud, then take ten minutes to do the exam. No code needed, no headaches.
I'd understand (for the sake of the discussion) why someone *might* not want to
take the time to get a real license if they wanted to transmit on HF or on
Extra class bands, etc. Not that I condone that either, but at least that
requires code elements in the exam process. But 2 meter VHF and above? No
sweat.
That's like forging an I.D. just so you can vote. Just register and save the
headache of making the damn thing, and the prospect of getting caught and
fined.
Not that I'm a ham (no interest in talking back) but I love monitoring SW.
Just my useless 2 cents. I know it's been covered before.
Linus