Old July 10th 04, 11:05 PM
me

Since when does the US care about so called ``treaties."

73,

Me

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"me" wrote in message
Personally, I believe Amateur Radio Licenses should cost $75 per year

for
regulatory fees and the Commission should elimanate testing. I also

believe
that is how it will eventually be in the near future.

73,

Me

Doubtful that testing would be eliminated. International treaties require
that there is proof the operators meet minimum qualifications.

Since the FCC has given testing responsibility to the amateur community,

the
FCC simply issues the license so they don't have any vested interest in
eliminating testing. And of course they issue the regulations and enforce
those regulations like they do for all communications services.

Besides testing is needed to attempt to insure that the licensees will

have
learned the basics of operating. Hams have such a wide range of

privileges
and frequencies that some basic knowledge truly is a necessity. We

already
have enough lids slip through so let's not make it worse.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE