Old July 11th 04, 05:51 PM
mike0219116

Would there really be anything in that "forbidden" frequency range to listen
to? It's my understanding that here in the U.S. almost all cellular
systems are now digital anyway.

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Sun 11 Jul 2004 01:09:25a, (Brucemm33) wrote in
message :

I think Paul Bauer is incorrect in his statement regarding the NRD 545.
It is not the entirely the rom in the 545 that determines if it will
receive the "forbidden" frequencies when the VHF/UHF converter card is
installed. I have the USA version of the 545 with the VHF/UHF card.
With a simple modification to the VHF/UHF card I am able to received ALL
frequencies from 30 MHz to 2000 MHz. I came across this modification in
the Yahoo NRD 545 user group. It's as simple as installing a short
across a resistor location on the VHF/UHF card. Apparently there is a
parallel circuit on the card identical to the resistor network on the
motherboard of the 545 which determines the frequency coverage. One only
needs to modify the card to change the receive coverage spectrum.

I will say the documentation that comes with the VHF/UHF card
specifies it's
the rom in the 545 that determines the frequency coverage....it is
entirely not true as I can tune freely across the designed frequency
range. Bruce

Are the "forbidden frequencies" compellingly interesting enough to mod a
receiver, or is it more of a "curiosity" just to see if you can do it?

I imagine it might be like opening Al Capone's safe - the mystery of
finally being able to peek inside turned out to be better than actually
opening the thing, which turned out to be a let-down...

-=jd=-
--
My Current Disposable Email:

(Remove YOUR HAT to reply directly)