Old September 13th 04, 10:25 PM
Brian Reay

"Peter" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:38:15 -0400, "Jack Painter"
wrote:

We speak English, not an adaptation
of it

I beg to differ!

I don't think the word "Hi" is English yet it's the ubiquitous
greeting in the US (and unfortunately over here in the UK also).
Why do Americans write "meter" for "metre", " thru" for "through",
"dove" for "dived" , "I've gotten" for " I've got", etc, etc?
Somehow I don't think the Pilgrim Fathers brought all that over from
the Old Country!

Americans speak American and we speak English ... 'nuff said!

I recommend Bill Bryson's book "Made in America"- a very readable account of
how American English has developed, with bits of the development of English
English thrown in.

Even in England, English usuage isn't universal. At least, after nearly 28
years in "the south", I still speak proper English ;-)

(Drifting off topic...........)

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk