Old July 18th 04, 02:21 PM
Finch

"Howard" mensch90249 wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:46:37 -0400, dxAce wrote:

Finch wrote:

I see.
Well, you seem to know a fair bit about this stuff. Will a 48" whip CB
antenna
allow decent modile reception of SW general coverage?

Coupled to a portable? I would guess so. Never done it myself. Depends on

the
amount of noise tossed out by the car.

dxAce

And the only way to know is to actually hook the darned thing up and
try it as was suggested in an earlier post.

I am aware of that.

You can get a lot of
advice here, but advice won't allow you to know what works in your
situation. If what you have doesn't work Radio Shack will take it
back.

I already returned it.

I am not trying to be a jerk,

Kinda' you are but I understand.
No big deal.

but in the time it's taking you
to ask this question here and wait for responses you could have
already installed the antenna, coupled it to the radio & driven around
a bit to test it out.

My time is tight. It only takes a second to shoot off a usenet post. It
takes longer to go buy
the hardware and set it up and test it.
By my persistant posts to this group, I can get myself headed in a direction
before I
spend my time shopping and setting it up thus saving myself much valuale
time that I have
a limited supply of at the moment.

I presume you also purchased a suitable adapter

I will make my own as I always do.

to connect it to your radio so a quick install should only take about
5 or 10 minutes.

Hope you resolve your dilemma,

I will. I always do. I will attach a wooden dowel to the existing auto
antenna
to lengthen it and stiffen it. That will be my front attach point.
The rear of the roof rack will be the rear attach point.
Voila, mobile dipole. Tap off with coax to the radio.
Done.