Old September 15th 04, 09:39 PM
Fractenna

See article at
http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1334_1.asp

My educated opinions on this matter are as follows--thisreport is very sugar
coated: The Dutch decision broke up the original consortium and, in my opinion,
severely degraded the success as originally outlined. The astronomical
community is not happy: this is the first time that an international astronomy
community has worked against itself.

This is NOT 'LOFAR' as defined, but a highly compromised derivative version.
Holland is a very poor site location for these frequencies, because of the high
population areas and extant HF/VHF use. Also, the cross polarization inverted
V element is a poor antenna for the relevant passband.

A good link on the original plan is:

http://www.lofar.org

73,
Chip N1IR