Old July 19th 04, 09:45 PM
Beloved Leader

Herb G wrote in message ...
Hello,

... good radio to buy that is
small for travel, covers the international SW broadcast spectrum, as
well as standard AM, Fm,

Same answer every time. The DX-399. Whoops, they're discontinued, but
they are still available as the Sangean ATS606AP.

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with any of the new, small Chinese-made
radios that are currently flooding the market. They might be better
than a DX-399 for your purposes. (The DX-399 is Chinese-made too.) All
I know is that, of all my radios, the one I would choose for a
backpacking/bicycle/motorcycle/Eurail/car tour of Europe or across the
US would be the DX-399.

It is the size of a paperback book, so you can jam it into a backpack.
The most useful feature of the DX-399 is its multiple-voltage
wallwart. It doesn't care whether you give it 110 volts or 220 volts.
It also comes with the adapter plug for Euro sockets. I don't know of
any other radio that is so equipped.

I do not know if the Sangean came equipped with a multiple-voltage
transformer, but you can buy that part from RS and use it on a
Sangean.

I'd buy another DX-399 in a heartbeat.