Old July 20th 04, 01:33 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth "T. Early" in news:40f800e1$0$10390
:

And that's the margin in one of the most liberal cities in the
country.

.... on a 30kW (daytime) signal at 1190 kHz, as opposed to a 50 kW (24/7)
signal at 770 kHz.

WLIB's signal gets pretty crappy pretty quickly as you move toward the
burbs. It's even difficult to pick up in much of Manhattan. WABC stays
quite powerful all over town.

Compare http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?
call=WABC&service=AM&status=L&hours=D side by side with
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?
call=WLIB&service=AM&status=L&hours=D to see the relative difference
between the number 1 and number 2 AM talk stations -- note the difference
in scale when comparing the two.

Then look at http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?
call=WOR&service=AM&status=C&hours=D to see what the number 3 AM talk
station has for a signal pattern. (Radio-locator.com is not a definitive
reference as to where you might or might not be able to pick up a signal;
but I've found that for making relative comparisons among stations'
signals, it's fairly useful.)

No, transmitter power doesn't make all the difference, but it certainly
matters; it's just one more obstacle that WLIB's three-month-old Air
America programming is overcoming.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these