Old July 20th 04, 08:23 PM
dxAce

Panzer240 wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in
nk.net:

"Bill" wrote:

Having done some DX'ing with a
small Sony SW radio for ten years,
I would like to buy a better one,
connected to the pc. I was thinking
of the Ten-Tech RX320D. (snip)

I considered buying one of those types of shortwave receivers before.
However, I changed my mind after weighing all the possible long term
implications. A good, well-built, standalone receiver can be useful over
many years. Indeed, among my radios, I have a twenty-five year old
Kenwood that is still performing like a champ. A computer-based
receiver, on the other hand, is clearly dependant on the computer for
continued use. Given the speed in which computer technology advances and
today's technology becomes obsolete, a computer-based receiver clearly
has a limited lifespan. Further, after a lessor number of years, when a
new OS has replaced the OS needed to operate the receiver's software,
any resale value would be sharply reduced. Of course, one can hope the
receiver's manufacturer will release new software as operating systems
change, but even they will eventually drop this model with a newer
receiver with support for older models eventually ended. I'm not trying
to talk you out of buying that receiver (since I don't know you, I have
no real interest in what you buy). Instead, I just wanted to add this to
the general discussion of this newsgroup.

Stewart

I have a PCR-1000 here that will work on everything from Win95 to WinXp +
Linux//Unix. At the very worst you can dedicate on "older" computer to
the setup and keep it going indefinitely. There may be many reasons to
choose a different type of receiver, but the chaning OS scene is certainly
not one of them. Since most modern receivers also have serial ports on
them, and are used with some form of computer connection, if only just for
logging, your argument would also apply to them. Certainly these receivers
have no more limited a life span than any other more conventional gear.
Having been in the hobby for many years, about the only thing I don't like
about the software controlled gear is the lack of a knob or two to twirl
But that is generally made up for with the veratility of the equipment.
e.g. I can listen to short wave and at the touch of button turn the PCR-
1000 into a trunk tracking scanner. There are not many receivers on the
market that are capable of a similar feat.

Wideband receivers (whether they be PC controlled or not) are notorious for
being overall poor performers.

dxAce