Old September 16th 04, 04:39 PM
Thierry

Default carolina windom vs dipole

Hi,

Have you some experience on the air using a Carolina Windom 40m long
compared to a G5RV 31m (100 ft) long...
I have the experience of G5RV but not the Windom yet.
The objective is using them for local qso but also dx in ssb (according to
their possibilities, thus not up to reach JA from ON or maybe via the
grayline, to see..)

I am going to install both (in NS and EW direction) but I really don't know
which is best or if they are really on par.

The Windom comes with 2 traps (1 per segment, as the standard design), a 6:1
balun ended with a coax. The G5RV is multiband too, without traps and uses a
4:1 balun ended with a 10m ladder line (standard design) , then a coax.
There is this already 2 or 3 hardware differences.

Knowing that one segment of the Windom is shorter, does it impact negatively
the radiation pattern with e.g. more sensitivity to QRM or other "defect"
that G5RV doesn't show ?

NB. I could use HFANT or MutiNEC to simulate that but that required to input
all antenna parameters first to design it before ask the program to simulate
its pattern... a field experiment is faster and welcome ;-)

Thanks in advance

Thierry, ON4SKY