Old September 17th 04, 12:12 AM
Thierry

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:39:50 +0200, "Thierry"
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry wrote:
The objective is using them for local qso but also dx in ssb (according

their possibilities, thus not up to reach JA from ON or maybe via the
grayline, to see..)

Hi Thierry,

One application (local/DX) has to suffer at the expense of the other.
YOU have to choose which application you want as first choice.

I am going to install both (in NS and EW direction) but I really don't

know
which is best or if they are really on par.

This is another choice YOU have to make. What do YOU want to do? If
it is grayline, you cannot do this very effectively with a dipole
going North/South.

Even going East/West will not result in the best if you work stations
mostly in a ENE/WNW Great Circle bearing.

You need to use a propagation program like WinVOA to see what design
you need (dipole orientation that is) and then build to that bearing.
If you build two antennas that are crossed (and even if one is Windom
and the other G5RV); then you will have a suitable solution -
somewhere (even if you drive them both and phase them).

Good idea, about simulation, I will try to create the windom design in
multiprop or hfant (I know the one of the dipole) and then run the voacap to
see what the matter.
FYI here is the pattern at short distance of a G5RV, 100W, tight EW,
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Radi...p-on-la-12.gif
The windom should be more omnidirectional.

Thierry, ON4SKY

There is this already 2 or 3 hardware differences.

These are practical problems of construction, not operational results.

Knowing that one segment of the Windom is shorter, does it impact

negatively
the radiation pattern with e.g. more sensitivity to QRM or other "defect"
that G5RV doesn't show ?

Short answer: NO. Long answer: Yes.

a field experiment is faster and welcome ;-)

Only if we happen to be a neighbor - quel dommage.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC