Old August 11th 04, 02:13 PM
Tim Shoppa

Default Review: $12.95 Coby 9-band AM/FM/SW receiver

I ordered a Coby 9-band AM/FM/SW receiver from http://www.target.com/ last
week. $12.95 + about $6 shipping. (I think this is the same unit that
someone else mentioned being at a "Big Lots" store for $9.99). It
came yesterday.

Analog tuning, digital frequency display, built-in clock/alarm.
Band coverage from the sticker on the back:

FM: 87.5-108.5
AM: 530-1700
SW1: 5.6-5.8
SW2: 7.15-7.40
SW3: 8.60-9.10
SW4: 9.85-10.65
SW5: 13.35-16.05
SW6: 15.15-15.40
SW7: 20.85-23.20

Actual band coverage from the frequency display on the front:

FM: 87.0-108.1
AM: 528-1769
SW1: 5.49-6.02
SW2: 7.05-7.89
SW3: 8.33-9.29
SW4: 9.69-10.96
SW5: 12.95-16.16
SW6: 15.35-17.70
SW7: 20.72-24.69

My opinion? A piece of junk. Even on MW, local stations splatter all over
each other. There's a DX/Local switch which doesn't help any. Local
MW stations image and splatter all up and down the SW bands too. The SW
selectivity is abysmal and my patience to try to pick out a couple of
strong stations was very much frustrated by the MW images up and down the
SW bands. The SW signals were there, just unlistenable due to all the
MW images.

It's moderately usable on local strong-signal FM signals. But I swear,
from the way that each FM station appears twice about 0.9MHz from each other,
that it uses a 455kHz IF even at FM frequencies.

Maybe if you're out in the middle of nowhere, with no local MW stations,
it would be sort-of useful. It's small enough, maybe I'll take it on a
trip and see if it becomes useful.

Tim.