Old September 17th 04, 09:29 PM
Mark Keith

"Thierry" http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry wrote in message ...
Ok Mark, for sure for DXing a dipole or a windom is not a beam...

I'd rather have the coax fed dipole over the windom any day though...I
bet many people would think it's a beam , the way it will most likely
trounce the average windom.
I tried one "windom" at a field day against a coax fed dipole. The
dipole won by 2 s units in any direction. Thats about what you would
see going from a coax dipole to an average beam...:/ Or by changing
from 100w to 500w-1 KW...

My objective is Dxing first as for local QSOs this is not a problem to get
S9+.

If it's working local, why would it not be working dx ok? Why the
change to an antenna which basically will be the same, assuming
element lengths are fairly close for a given band, barring any changes
in feedline efficiency? IE: I assume you are going to switch from a
G5RV to a windom....
Thinking about either one of those antennas makes me want to take up
golf...
I don't like either one. It's no secret though....
The only thing the G5RV has going for it, is it is nearly a EDZ on
20m. But it's a reduced efficiency version compared to one fed in a
normal manner...
Coax to a choke to ladder line as a feedline is no way to live for a
serious dx'er who wants most of his power to actually be radiated by
the antenna element...The windom is not much better in this
regard....Or at least the ones I've seen.

I know very well that DX performances will be more than limited, all the
more in SSB, but this is a temporary solution waiting for a small beam 3-or
4 ele.

You still don't mention which band/s though... There are fairly simple
wire antennas much better for dx than the usual all band compromise
wire antenna. IE: extended double zepps, phased parallel dipoles, etc,
etc. I would use something along those lines if I wanted to dx say 20m
or up...If you want to dx 80/40, you might consider a bobtail curtain
or variant, or a good vertical. Trying to increase the dx potential by
changing from one semi lame antenna , to another semi lame antenna
strikes me as counterproductive. But, it's your yard and $$$.... :/
MK