Old August 14th 04, 10:03 PM
Al Patrick

Ken,

I canNOT recommend Ramsey kits though they might have improved greatly
over the last ten years. They certainly look better, etc., etc. My
only experience with them was with an FM-25 and it had been "pushed",
"strapped", "jumpered" or otherwise modified. However, it splattered
all over channel 5 television. Don't count on my opinion alone for this
company. Get some other opinions if you consider their equipment.
Depending on how "cheap" you want to get by, you may want to consider
their equipment as a starting point.

on their business band and was setting up a temporary command post for a
few weeks or until the outage was taken care of. This would allow them
to utilize the two-way equipment already installed in all their trucks.
Yours would be on the "FM" band more than likely and much more mobile.
However, the principles are very similar.
http://www.progress-energy.com/ If you decide to contact them you can
get contact info at
http://www.progress-energy.com/share.../carolinas.asp

You might ask for someone in maintenance, in charge of the line crews,
or communications - probably the best. They just might be glad to send
you info on their setup if you explain what you'd like to do and sell
them on the idea of assisting you with some suggestions about their
setup. They WOULD BE VERY CONCERNED that none of your equipment (i.e.
generator) would ever come into contact with ANY of their equipment -
for obvious life or death reasons. 115 volts improperly connected to
their equipment could produce thousands of volts further up the line
where some lineman is working.

Take care,

Al

Ken wrote:

I am interested in purchasing a portable radio station that will be
used to broadcast music and words of inspiration and encouragement to
victims of natural disasters. The coverag should be about 3 miles
radius. Does anyone know how I can go about doing this and the FCC
guidelines on such activity?
Thanks
Ken