Old September 18th 04, 10:57 AM
Thierry

"dmr" wrote in message
The original windom of the 1920's had a single wire (vertical)
feedline. The Carolina Windom as sold by Radioworks has RF radiation
from the feedline which is a deliberate design consideration of this
antenna; it has a vertical element (the piece of coax hanging off the
balun) which is designed to radiate,. and which creates the low angle
lobes. The RF radiation is STOPPED at the RF choke which is at the end
of the "feedline". Then YOU feedline connects here and essentially
does not radiate.

I use a common chocke balun. the coax doesn radiates RF.

Thierry

There is alot of information on this antenna at
http://www.radioworks.com/, some of which contradicts some of the
mythology which appears in the NG's and reflectors..
73
Dan (k0dan)

Hi Thierry:

The only draw back of the off center fed dipole is the possibility of
introducing radiation from the feedline which can make for R.F. in the
Shack if not properly acconted for , it also makes predicting the
radiation pattern a little skewed to the long end of the dipole. I Use
two off center fed dipoles (miss nomer windoms) here one is cut for 40m
long the other 20m long the 40m long one is fed with a 4:1 balun and 75
ohm coax the 20m long is fed with 300 ohm open wire line to a tuner.
both antennas do a good job for me. I do mostly causual dxing (but as
one poster has already said you'll have to decide which propagation mode
you are seeking if grayline put up a vertical or other lowangle radiator
for 80meters.) They are mounted at 90 degrees to each other. I've been
able to work lots of dx on these antennas .. I had two g5rv's up prior
to these and from a pure operational veiw point find them a little
better at my location.

hope this is of some help.
73 Dave