Old September 19th 04, 05:01 AM
Tam/WB2TT

"Mark T. Kennedy" wrote in message
i live in a neighborhood where the sight of a half-wave dipole would cause
a riot. however, a portion of my property is heavily wooded.
i could easily hide even a 160m half-wave among the branches and leaves,
leaving it invisible. is this practical? risky? caveat: i'm still
studying for my technician's license so go easy on me :-).

/mark

I have several wire antennas strung between trees, and found that even #14
or #16 wire with black or blue insulation at 50 feet is invisible against
the trees, and almost invisible when viewed against the sky. What sticks out
is the feedline, if it is hanging in the clear. You want that coming down
next to a tree. You really don't want contact between the wire and branches.
However, my 75m antenna goes through branches at one point, and it seems to
be OK. Stay away from white, yellow, or red insulation.

Tam/WB2TT