Old August 18th 04, 12:17 AM
Mark

Excellent analogy!

"m II" wrote in message
news:XqvUc.21372$S55.11690@clgrps12...
Clay Denski wrote:

BUT, what I don't get is why the two do not interfere. Let me
explain.. Take a timeslice of EM radiation hitting my recieving
antenna at some moment. Some electrons in the antenna move up in
response to experiencing some energy from "Talk" station that
corresponds to a high point in the sine-wave. The same electron,
though, is pulled down a bit in response to some EM hitting it from
"Zeppelin". How does "Talk" not affect "Zeppelin" if both are shoving
the same electron in my antenna? How does my radio figure out that an
effect at the antenna is NOT an ordinary modulation of the "Talk"
carrier wave but rather of some other one and therefore to be ignored?

Get a long bladed handsaw. Lay it sideways on a piece of paper and trace
out the teeth with a pencil. Now get another long handsaw with a
completely different tooth spacing (pitch).

Lay it over the pencil pattern and retrace with a coloured pencil.
remove saw and compare wave patterns. See how the peaks hardly ever
coincide? At a few million teeth (hertz) per second, these coincidences
will be even fewer per unit time.

I was going to say this equates to the carrier frequency spacing of
radio stations, but then it occurred to me I just wanted to talk saw
blades and pencils, so we'll let it all drop now...

mike

--

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International