Old August 18th 04, 01:36 PM
dxAce

Liberals for Guns wrote:

Can someone help me understand something about IF vs synch. I've read
that IF shifting can get rid of an interference that is occurring
slightly lower or higher than the desired frequency. So, if you've
got noise within the filter range and it's on the lower side of the
frequency than you simply shift everything up so the noise is out of
the "window". My question is that I'm not sure why you just couldn't
use sync in to get rid of the interference. By just listening to the
upper sideband the noise wouldn't be there. Right? Do I need to pay
for an advanced feature like IF shift when I could get away with
simply using a sync detector function?

Depends on what one is listening to. IF shift (or passband tuning as it
may be called) will work with both AM and SSB signals.

As far as I know, the 'sync' function only works to 'even out' AM signals.
It would be best to get a receiver that includes both functions.

I'm using various Drake products here, and I don't really know if the R8
and R8B actually use a true IF shift, though they do have a 'passband
shift' function. They both have an audio notch filter.

The R8B has a 'selectable sideband sync', whereas the R8 does not.

The R7 has a 'true IF shift', that is there is no seperate upper and
lower sideband switch, one merely shifts the passband tuning or 'IF shift'
control to upper or lower , or anyplace one wishes to put it. The R7 also
has an 'IF notch filter' versus an audio notch filter which is much
better.

The R7 is overall a better receiver as far as 'flexibility' is concerned,
but it does suffer slightly as far as audio issues are concerned, and it
does not have a 'sync' function.

dxAce