Old August 18th 04, 07:37 PM
starman

The sync' detector needs a carrier from an AM signal to work . The IF
shift works for SSB (no carrier) as well.

Liberals for Guns wrote:

Can someone help me understand something about IF vs synch. I've read
that IF shifting can get rid of an interference that is occurring
slightly lower or higher than the desired frequency. So, if you've
got noise within the filter range and it's on the lower side of the
frequency than you simply shift everything up so the noise is out of
the "window". My question is that I'm not sure why you just couldn't
use sync in to get rid of the interference. By just listening to the
upper sideband the noise wouldn't be there. Right? Do I need to pay
for an advanced feature like IF shift when I could get away with
simply using a sync detector function?