Old August 22nd 04, 12:25 PM
Jay

check out:

When you receive your Passport you will read it is currently the "best"
portable available. Not everyone agrees as "best" is partly objective
opinion, partly subjective opinion. The SW77, though, is the most sensitive
sw portable you can buy new today, is very well made and has excellent
synchronous detection which can really help make some tough signals sound
much more pleasant. It also has bass and treble controls. You can also read
the yahoo newsgroups about the Sangean ATS/909 which is also loved by many
of its owners, hated by others. It has tons of memories and nice ergonomics
but needs an external antenna to hear as many signals as the SW77 or 7600GR

If you want something much cheaper there are the Degen 1103 available direct
from china on eBay only, the Sony 7600GR (not as good as the SW77 but only
$160). There are lots of other choices too but these are the major players
in this category.

Jay

"Thurston Howell III" wrote in message
m...
Getting back into Shortwave after a 10 year absence. This has probably
been discussed often, but would like your current opinions as to what
is the "best" (all around for a casual weekend listener) portable
Shortwave radio in the less than $500.00 price range. I am looking at
YB 400PE, Sangean 909, etc. Any others? Pros and cons of the two
listed above. I just ordered the new Passport, but have not received
it yet. Thanks, and I look forward to the discussion. Thurston Howell
III