Old August 22nd 04, 02:36 PM
Gene

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:29:47 -0500, The Axelrods
wrote:

Thanks in advance for any info

You can use a discone for 30 Mhz and up for sure. the performance below
that falls off very quick. I use my discone with an ICOM R7000.

As for grounding yes you have to ground the anttena. It is for safety as
the lightening may want to flow down your coax lead in no matter what is
struck by the lightening. Lightening goes everywhere when it hits and
into the house via the coax is a good possibliity.

My discone sits on top of 2-10 foot mast sections. The coax is fed to a
gound rod via an anti satic device, then on to the radio. the mast is
bolted to my dack so is easy to take down

Can you expound a little on this.. "anti static" device? Not quite
sure I know what this one is.

You could use the 20 mast as an antenna. run coax to the mast and secure
it to the bottom. You now have a 20 foot vertical antenna that will be
fine on SW.

Run this one to a ground rod also, as the above?

There is more info about grounding and antennas at the AMANDX site below

Maybe should have gone there before I post this.. Thanks! Gene