Old January 20th 05, 05:32 PM
Chad Wahls

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:15:11 -0600, "Chad Wahls"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:52:04 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote:

Could not find them using the C2R prefix but there is a bunch. That
board
is used in a bunch of radios and has a PLL that does not like to be
modded,
I think that made the FCC happy. Iroic that there IS spots on the
board
for
another final and support components, a simple call to Galaxy and you
can
have a dual final radio in less than an hour. OOPS!!!!!

Correct. This was rather pricey. I think upwards of $60, but not sure.
It
was
almost more economical to get a small amp.

In cases like this, it's almost always better to get a small amp over
modifying a radio beyond its limits..

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

It's not really beyond the DX2547's limits. There's an ample power supply
in there and the board is already punched, labled and wired for another
final, just needs support components and biased up.

But as stated earlier the gain in power is not really worth the hasle, and
not enough to drive a high drive amp.

More of a bragging right I guess.

Btw, for the technician it is a wonderful radio to work on. The top and
bottom comes off like most mobiles and it's wide enough to sit on it's
side
and work on both sides. Only have to clip 2 nylon ties holding the
speaker
cable in. There's plenty of room and the super razor sharp edges are kept
to a minimum. I was pleasantly suprised when working on it, the manual is
also very easy to understand and comprehensive.

You are doing a good job in selling the radio. I'm almost ready to go
out and buy one just for the fun of it. But I'll disconnect the Roger
Beep.......

Nah, I shopped forever for a base and was completely sold on a Cobra 2000.
I simply could not find one that was unadulterated for a price even close to
the 2547. I also looked into used Cherokee CBS1000's but heard bad things
about their reliability. I do have a "keyclown" radio in the truck, A
Magnum 257. It is a wonderful radio and would have probably had bought one
for the home if I would have known about it. The only reason I have not is
that I like the 6 digit counter on the 2547 as opposed to the 5 digit on the
257, I would be happy with a counter with only the 6th digit for CB use. I
also prefer the ease of use of the 2547, the 257's buttons are very mulit
function. The radio sits on my bench and it's nice to reach up and twist a
knob or punch a button knowing it only does one thing.

I bought the 257 for it's price and features, it sounds great on transmit
and also because I'm learning code as we speak and want a "decent" entry
level 10 meter rig. I do ABSOLUTELY NO freeband work, the 257 is clean and
not overly powerful in that it will be immedately noticed as a 10 meter
radio. Do buy an external speaker though! It was also one of the few
affordable/convertable 10M rigs that was straight up with no echo, beeps,
and other bull****. It looks good too. Sideband performance is better than
the Galaxy and AM is on par. The newer ones come with a speech processor
and an electret mic, once agin the transmit audio is great! Up/down button
placement on the mic is backwards! Down is to the right. Out of the box it
was spot on calibration wise, we've had 0 degree weather here and it takes
about 10-15 min to get it's **** together in the morning.

Down and dirty the 2547 is a hunderd bucks more than the 257. Although I do
not overly advocate the use of "freeband radios" I would reccommend it over
the 2547 if you do not need the 6th digit and ease of use. BTW the newer
257 can be locked down to only the 40 CB channels and power internaly dialed
back to 4 watts so that the front panel control would be maxed out at 4
watts. Still ain't gonna do squat for you if you require an accepted radio.

The price of the DX2547 has declined in the past year but it is still
expensive, I was quite hesitant to spend that money, but, it has been good.
Although I do consider selling it from time to time to pocket some cash and
grab another 257. When that ham ticket comes I have the feeling it will be
time to upgrade

Chad