Old August 23rd 04, 12:45 AM
dxAce

Ken Wilson wrote:

Keep us posted.

One other thing I was looking for today was some activity on either 8998 or
9032 out of Antarctica.

Years ago there was quite a bit of activity on 8998 (or 8997 at the time) out
of Auckland, NZ in support of US activities in Antarctica.

Since that time I understand that that frequency has become secondary and 9032
has become primary.

Flights out of Auckland (and perhaps other sites) should begin soon as the
seasons shift.

While monitoring 9032 I did come across quite a bit of British activity on
9031, and it sounds like an interesting frequency to monitor. Comms with
apparent NATO aircraft, and some weather reports for a location in Italy.

Years ago, as I stated, I monitored 8998 (it may have been 8997 at the time, I
think they shifted a bit since then) for Anatarctic activity quite a bit, and
once on a DXpedition I was rewarded by actually hearing a helo on the ice at
the South Pole. That was an interesting reception.

With regards to 8998 and 9032, if I recall correctly a lot of the activity
occurred during the very early morning hours here in the Eastern USA.

Here is a site for some Antarctic stuff, though it has not been updated
recently:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...ntarctica.html

dxAce