Old August 23rd 04, 12:33 AM
AbbN

Hi,
I too got back into it 5 years ago after a 30 year absence. The term "best"
can mean a lot of things. Just to let you know what I have now is a Sat-800,
YB 400PE and a DX398/Sangean 909. I had a DX-394B and loved it but got back
into the hobby with a DX-375.

What do you want to listen to??? Do you want portability?? The Sat-800 is
NOT a portable, at least not by my definition and it IS my favourite
receiver. The 400PE is a battery eater - it's harder on batteries than the
909 (and you need 6 of them!). But I feel that the 909 is a more
"professional" receiver between the 2 - more features. The Sony SW77 is
excellent too. But here in Canada, it's double the US price whereas the
Grundig receivers are only about 20% - 30% more than their US prices.

If you want to listen to hams, between the 909 and the 400PE, the 909 has
*much* better sideband. But I don't listen to hams that often and prefer the
400. I also prefer how it sounds and feels. It's also more sensitive than
the 909 with just the whip antenna. As far as batteries are concerned, thank
goodness for rechargeable (and the AC adaptor that comes with it)

In all honesty, you won't go wrong with any of the choices presented. But I
really suggest that, if possible,YOU try, touch and feel and listen to any
of them before you buy. What I may like and prefer, you may not.....

Good Luck
Abb N
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

"Thurston Howell III" wrote in message
m...
Getting back into Shortwave after a 10 year absence. This has probably
been discussed often, but would like your current opinions as to what
is the "best" (all around for a casual weekend listener) portable
Shortwave radio in the less than $500.00 price range. I am looking at
YB 400PE, Sangean 909, etc. Any others? Pros and cons of the two
listed above. I just ordered the new Passport, but have not received
it yet. Thanks, and I look forward to the discussion. Thurston Howell
III