Old September 20th 04, 05:55 PM
Peter

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:15:22 -0700, Bill Turner
wrote:

Reg has obviously never drawn an arc from the end of a dipole running
100 watts. I assure you it is indeed possible to set a tree on fire, as
at least one ham I know of proved a few years back. We residents of
Southern California (the brush fire capital of the world) are keenly
aware of how little it takes to get a fire going.

I once set the grass on my lawn on fire (it hadn't been trimmed for
ages!) by having the lower end of the centre vertical of a Bobtail
Curtain array a little too near the ground! Only 100 watts or so used
then ....
Yes, the grass was dry enough as we hadn't had rain for months (I was
living in NZ at the time).

Peter, G3PHO