Old August 24th 04, 04:35 AM
Bob

Mark S. Holden wrote:

Bob wrote:

Hello, I rescently baught a 7600GR. I'm planning on putting up 80 to
90 foot longwire/random wire between my house and a large tree.

Any input on the following tuners? I'm a newbie with this kinda stuff.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1046

-and-

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

Several have suggested a passive one. The list cost on these seems
rather high, are there cheaper tuner/preselector options without
giving up quality/usefullness?

Secondly, would a low pass filter still be useful with a tuner?

Thanks,
Bob

Of the two, I'd go for the passive one. You certainly won't need gain
with that setup.

If the preselector alone isn't enough, you might look to add a variable
attenuator to prevent overloading. You can make one of these dirt cheap.

The sony 7600GR has one built in, with a dial on the side to adjust it.

I'm hoping that and the preselector does the job.
If not, I'll use more nylon rope and shorten the antenna.

But actually, I'd consider going with a much smaller antenna, away from
the house with an impedance matching transformer, and use the savings to
start a table top radio fund.

If you're putting up an 80 foot antenna, I'd expect you'll want a table
top before long anyway.

You can always expand the antenna when you have a radio that's better
equipped to handle it.

Thanks for the input.

-Bob