Old August 24th 04, 04:37 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

Hello, I rescently baught a 7600GR. I'm planning on putting up 80 to 90
foot longwire/random wire between my house and a large tree.

Any input on the following tuners? I'm a newbie with this kinda stuff.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1046

-and-

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

Several have suggested a passive one. The list cost on these seems
rather high, are there cheaper tuner/preselector options without giving
up quality/usefullness?

Secondly, would a low pass filter still be useful with a tuner?

Thanks,
Bob

Of the two, I'd go for the passive one. You certainly won't need gain
with that setup.

If the preselector alone isn't enough, you might look to add a variable
attenuator to prevent overloading. You can make one of these dirt cheap.

But actually, I'd consider going with a much smaller antenna, away from
the house with an impedance matching transformer, and use the savings to
start a table top radio fund.

Excellent advice Mark,
Far more advantage can be gained by using a matching UNUN and proper shield
grounding- otherwise noise from the house is conducted right out to the
antenna. A lot cheaper and less knobs to fool with too.