Old August 27th 04, 02:37 AM
CW

www.kc7nod.20m.com

"Eric R.Ortega" wrote in message
news:JuKWc.100824$Lj.17349@fed1read03...

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message
news:0hJWc.6989$%11.3590@trnddc02...

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

Hello, I rescently baught a 7600GR. I'm planning on putting up 80 to

90
foot longwire/random wire between my house and a large tree.

Any input on the following tuners? I'm a newbie with this kinda

stuff.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1046

-and-

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

Several have suggested a passive one. The list cost on these seems
rather high, are there cheaper tuner/preselector options without

giving
up quality/usefullness?

Secondly, would a low pass filter still be useful with a tuner?

Thanks,
Bob

Of the two, I'd go for the passive one. You certainly won't need gain
with that setup.

If the preselector alone isn't enough, you might look to add a

variable
attenuator to prevent overloading. You can make one of these dirt

cheap.

But actually, I'd consider going with a much smaller antenna, away

from
the house with an impedance matching transformer, and use the savings

start a table top radio fund.

Excellent advice Mark,
Far more advantage can be gained by using a matching UNUN and proper

shield
grounding- otherwise noise from the house is conducted right out to the
antenna. A lot cheaper and less knobs to fool with too.

noob

I have been lurking for a while but I need to ask a question he

I am new SW listening (actually, I am recently returned to the hobby). I a

not an expert. I see this thread talking about how to build (various

styles)
of antenna, but no schematics. I think that I understand the concepts but

an
actual drawing would be helpful. A generic parts list would be even

better.
I do tend to overload my little portable with a 20 foot longwire so

anything
to improve/refine the reception would be a huge help.

Thanks

Eric
/noob