Old August 29th 04, 03:42 AM
Mark S. Holden

Johnny Lipps wrote:
I guess the main question I need to answer for myself is what level of
listener I want to be, casual or hardcore hobbyist. I sense it's
somewhere in between: I want a receiver that is tunable in smaller
increments than the standard portable, but I want to spend less time
tweaking than listening. When I have a setup working I'm sure you'll
see plenty of questions from me.

Thanks to everybody for the welcomes!

The review site you posted doesn't appear to have been updated in a few
years, so it's missing most of the current radios, and for that matter
several out of production favorites.

Here's a web site with basic information on about 100 of the more
popular radios available on the used market.

http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm

If you tell us the kinds of features you think you want, how you'd like
to use it, and your general price range, odds are you'll get plenty of
suggestions for radios we think are worth considering.

Participants here use everything from portables to tube era boat anchors
to state of the art rack mount radios.

You might also want to start considering your antenna options, because
this will probably be a factor when it comes to picking a radio.

Regards,

Mark