Old August 29th 04, 11:41 AM
M. J. Powell

In message 0ZcYc.14020$Ka6.5293@okepread03, Jack Painter
writes

snip

And free access to their markets.

Yes that's right Arnie, thank you. We expect that all nations should have
free access to all markets, and that's one of the most difficult principles
that we struggle to maintain. It benefits all countries and all people when
there is agreement on this.

Does it indeed? Think again. If by 'free trade' you mean that the poor
go to the wall then NO. They need help, not having their legs chopped
away.

Look at Del Monte's attempt via the WTO to get the EU to cancel its
support for the subsidy to the Caribbean countries for their banana
crop.

Del Monte and others have 65% of the world market in bananas. The
Caribbean islands have 15% of the EU market in bananas. They have
nothing else except some sugar beet and some tourism.

Cancelling their subsidy is not 'free trade', it's greed.

To many people 'free trade' simply means 'and the devil take the
hindmost'.

Fortunately some have progressed further in their thinking.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell