Old September 22nd 04, 08:02 PM
Roy Lewallen

What effect do you expect a mismatch to have on the current or the
current distribution on the antenna?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Gary S. wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:04:00 -0500, "Dave VanHorn"
wrote:

But to be on the safe side, allow for a dissipation of 1 watt per foot
length of dipole wire which will then get warm in the centre, somewhat
above
ambient, when in a slight breeze.

But the current distribution isn't linear, and the loss is I^2R, so I would
think you'd have to know the max current, and work it that way.

I don't think you should count on a perfect SWR match, either, and
should size for some amount of mismatch.

Worst case kind of thinking.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA