Old August 31st 04, 03:39 PM
Mark S. Holden

Sandy Hoff wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

Hi

It's probably legal as long as you're not using it for an illegal purpose.

On the other hand, Murphy's law says any police officer who pulls you over and finds the scanner will not know this or will presume you're using it illegally. There's not much percentage in arguing with a police officer who has pulled you over, even if
you are right.

So if you're not using it, keep it out of sight, and don't volunteer that you have one if you get pulled over.