Old September 23rd 04, 05:51 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:47:24 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:

A Lot Of Crazy Folks wrote:
"Perhaps you could also take a moment to confirm that you understand the
difference between an antenna and a solar cell."

Reciprocity rules antenna action. I`m not sure electricity through a
solar cell will cause it to emit light.

Hi Richard,

In support of your veiled supposition, yes a solar cell will emit
light. Of course a Lot Of Crazy Folks will then bluster in outrage
that IR is not light. As Thoreau would posit: "A foolish consistency
is the hobgoblin of little minds." The greater consistency is found
in that a solar cell responds to the 90% of the sun's spectrum that is
unseen.

Pick up any LED (which is visible light, I will leave that
determination to the individual), connect a meter to it, and point the
LED at a light source (which is visible light, I will leave that
determination to the individual), and low a potential will be
developed (typically the commonplace 0.7V, but this varies with LED
color). I have also observed this in common diodes - LEDs merely have
optimized their junction for maximum visual exposure.

There is nothing in this to suggest that efficiency follows reciprocal
use. The hobgoblins would be loath to admit that the light bulb also
serves as a light detector - even if poorly (but superbly for RF Power
level measurement).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC