Old September 2nd 04, 05:03 AM
Tony Calguire

Tim Shoppa wrote:

But the 5 MHz signal often "sounds" different than the 10, 15, and 20 MHz
broadcasts. There's an additional beep that seems to come once
a second, and this is sometimes audible when WWV isn't heard at
all. Is it possible I'm picking up YVTO (also a time station at
5 MHz) from Venezuela? I'm not sure I've ever heard a Spanish-language
voice announcment, but presumably the modulation on the voice is less
than the once-a-second beep. The beep seems slightly out of phase
compared to WWV.

It's almost certainly YVTO. It's been there for years. I tuned in a
couple weeks ago and I was very surprised to hear YVTO off-kilter with
WWV. Maybe YVTO keeping UT1, which is about a half-second off of UTC
right now?