Old September 5th 04, 01:07 AM
Dale Parfitt

"David" wrote in message
news:Mgp_c.1062$sS4.830@trndny03...
What is the most overall sensitive portable (under $200) for receiving
SW/MW/FM signals? From reading reviews the Degen 1102 and 1103 seem up
there, along with the Sony 7600GR. I use to own the Radio Shack DX-440

(aka
Sangean 803a)
and it was darn good for picking up SW and MW , with a long wire attached.
The best portable I had with just the whip was the Grundig YB 305.
Interesting to hear other opnions.

Sensitivity is perhaps the least important parameter to be considered in a
SW or MW receiver where the noise floor is limited by atmospheric/galactic
noise.
Try this- turn up the volume on your receiver w/o the antenna connected. If
the noise goes up when you connect the antenna, you have plenty of
sensitivity- now start looking at the important parameters like selectivity,
dynamic range, IP3 etc.

Dale W4OP