Old September 5th 04, 05:44 AM
HaveHFWillTravel

Oh Yea, forgot about CHU. And if memory serves, there was a medium
wave time station at 740khz but I had to be in south Florida to hear
that.
On 1 Sep 2004 06:23:46 -0700, (Tim Shoppa)
wrote:

At my location on the east coast of the US, I get semi-reliable
reception of WWV on 5 MHz through most of the night.

(See my WWV usability charts at

http://www.trailing-edge.com/~shoppa/wwv/

for propogation/reception conditions.).

But the 5 MHz signal often "sounds" different than the 10, 15, and 20 MHz
broadcasts. There's an additional beep that seems to come once
a second, and this is sometimes audible when WWV isn't heard at
all. Is it possible I'm picking up YVTO (also a time station at
5 MHz) from Venezuela? I'm not sure I've ever heard a Spanish-language
voice announcment, but presumably the modulation on the voice is less
than the once-a-second beep. The beep seems slightly out of phase
compared to WWV.

Are there any other 5MHz once-a-second-beep stations that might be
audible from the East Coast of the US? Isn't there a Chinese time broadcast
on 5 MHz? But I doubt that I'd be hearing it here on the East Coast. What's
the format of the Chinese broadcast?

Tim.