Old September 5th 04, 11:46 AM
Dwight Stewart

"m II" wrote:

(snip) A tv reporter read the US Constitution
to random people in the streets a few years
back. Most of them thought it was subversive
crap. Your education system seems to be in a
shambles. Not knowing your own history is
unforgiveable.

Want another one, Mike? My wife, a high school teacher, seeing something
similar on television, read portions of the Constitution to some senior
class students a few years ago. Eighteen of those seniors could not give the
general period it was written, with eight out of the forty seniors answering
it was written in the late 1960's. Those darn hippies.

The results of the questions relating to the content was even more
depressing.

By the way, in spite of the abundance of press to the contrary, the
teachers are not at fault here. They're locked into a curriculum set by the
school boards and others - a curriculum which simply doesn't include much
U.S. History today. In fact, much of the core material is getting
short-changed today to make room for other, highly questionable in my
opinion, stuff.

Stewart