Old September 6th 04, 11:53 AM
RHF

= = = (Stereophile22) wrote in message
= = = ...

- City boy here...

definitely selectivity then. And judging from the other posters here, despite
what I thought earlier, it seems that selctivity is the way for me to go also
in regards to the shortwave bands.

My area is defined as "semi-rural".

which I guess means that it hard to define whether a radio with better
selectivity or better sensitivity is better for me in regards to normal AM and
FM broacast listening and scanner listening.

SP22,

For normal AM and FM Band listening from a semi-rural area:

If you are not within 35 miles of a AM or FM Radio Transmitter
site; then consider the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000.
This is a so called "super Radio":
+ Very Good AM/MW Sensitivity
+ Wide & Narrow IF Filters
+ RG Gain Control
+ External AM/MW/SW Antenna 500 Ohm Inputs
+ External FM Antenna 72 Ohm Input
+ Digital Frequency Display
+ Very Good FM Sound Quality
+ Very Long Battery Life
+ Moderate Size
$ = Low Price ~ $100
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/

For the Shortwave Bands plus AM and FM, consider the
+ Sony ICF-SW7600GR (AM-SYNC)
+ Sangean ATS-909/RadioShack DX-398 (SSB).
+ Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE (SSB)
$ = All Priced below $200

A third option for the Shortwave Bands plus AM and FM is the
Grundig Satellit 800 M which is really a table-top radio with
a handle and batteries. ( How Do You Spell: H E A V Y )
$ = Price about $400-$500

Also consider some of the Radios listed in the
"Modern Shortwave Receiver Survey" at DXing.Com.
http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm
- Panasonics: RF-2200 / RF-2900 / RF-2600
- Sony ICF-2010
- Grundig Satellit 500 / 700
- Magnavox D2999

jm2cw ~ RHF