Old September 9th 04, 02:55 AM
Buzzygirl

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

I read a few links about the multiple choice tests for the tech license

and
I also saw a list of pool. My question is... How much of an ordeal is it

get set up to take the test itself ???

The Tech license study will take the average person about 2-4 weeks to get
through, depending on how much time you have. It is not a difficult test,
even if one isn't really technically inclined. The Tech study manual covers
mostly basic material, and you won't need more than middle-school math
abilities to do the calculations required in the exam.

However, you won't be able to transmit on the SW bands until you upgrade to
the General class. That's another whole study guide and test. The General
Class study guide covers much of the same stuff the Technician guide does,
but in more depth, and there is more about RF exposure and antennas. You
also need to pass a 5 words per minute Morse Code receiving exam for the
General license. Many people expect the Morse Code exam to be dropped in the
near future, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the FCC to approve
its demise. Some people have taken both the Technician and General licenses
at once. Each of these tests consists of 35 questions, and the test is
multiple choice. And the 5 wpm Morse Code test is really pretty easy to pass
too.

There are good practice exams at the following websites: www.eham.net and
www.qrz.com.

The best study guides (IMHO) are the ARRL manuals. The Tech study guide is
the Now You're Talking! 5th edition, which contains lessons and the current
test question and answer pools. The General Class Manual is also available
from ARRL, as are Morse Code practice CDs and tapes. Their website is he
www.arrl.org/catalog.

Good luck!

Jackie