Old September 9th 04, 03:54 AM
starman

Steve wrote:

This is off topic, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

I'm don't have a lot of technical expertise and I'm wondering how one
determines what kind of coax to use as a feedline. I currently have
about 50 feet of fairly thin (RG174) coax that I'm using to feed an
outdoor active antenna that's mounted on the fire escape outside my
window. I'm thinking about mounting the antenna on the roof of my
apartment building and suspect 50 ft of feed line might just be enough
to allow me to do that. However, a friend of mine told me that 50 ft
of RG174 is going to allow too much signal loss. So, there you have my
first question: Is 50 ft of RG174 coax a bad feedline?

The second question is this. My friend seemed to think that the 50 ft
run to my roof would result in greater signal loss than the much
shorter run to my fire escape, even though we're talking about 50 ft
of coax either way. This didn't make sense to me. 50 ft of coax is 50
ft of coax, it seems to me, whether it's coiled and leading just
outside my window or straight and leading all the way up to the roof.
Am I wrong about this?

Steve

Get some R-59U coax (Radio Shack) which is intended for TV satellite
dish systems. It has better shielding than most other coax that you can
easily buy. The R-59U is 75-ohms instead of 50-ohms but that's not a
significant mismatch for receiving. I'm using 100-ft of R-59U with no
noticable signal loss. Check out the following website for the antenna
system I use.

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html