Old August 21st 03, 09:52 AM
Dr. Slick

wrote in message ...
"Dr. Slick" wrote:

So then that would be Work = 2*pi*(radius**2)*force.

Right. But it's a bit strange with rotational work, because if
you do one rotation, you are essentially back where you started. I
believe this has something to do with the fact that the rotational
displacement is dimensionless, and linear displacement is in units of
length.

If it takes one newton to make a block move and I push it north 1
metre, then east 1 metre, then south 1 metre, then west 1 metre,
I am back where I started but I did 4 joules worth of work (but
probably not useful work).

Ok, this is what i meant, "usefull work".

If I push the same block in a circle of radius 1 metre then I do
2pi joules of work: the circumference (distance travelled) times
the force.

So the expression at the top should not have a square in it.

...Keith

Nope. It needs another radius term...one for the circumference,
and one for the moment arm.

Slick