Old September 10th 04, 02:13 PM
Richard

Hi DeWat,

I have the same radio. The intersting thing about it is that it is hard to
overload the receiver.Modern readions have a telescopic whip and rarely can
cope with exterial aerials (yes I am even referring to Sony's here as well).
The 803A is a littel deaf on its whip and really needs an external aerial.
You will find a longwire aerial - about 5 yards long will be fine and even
better if you put it through an ATU first. Forget about elaborate expensive
aerials, throw a few yards of wire acorss the room and see the huge
improvement in signals.

Good DX,
Richard, Warsaw
"DeWat" wrote in message
Hello all...

I have a 13 year old Sangean ATS-803A that I will "occassionally"
listen to. It's kind of hard to get into this because the only
shortwave signals that I can reliably pick up are the radio stations
(not the shacks). When listening, I will often try to do some dx
receiving, but usually become discouraged. I'm considering getting a
portable external antenna for it to see if this will help, but don't
know where to start. What are some of the "better" portable antennas
under $100.00 that I can get for this radio, **and** will not overload
the front end with noise?

Thx
DeWat