Old September 12th 04, 11:04 PM
Telamon

In article ,
(David Drumheller) wrote:

I've been listening to shortwave radio since the mid-1970s, and so
I've done a fair amount of tinkering with antennas. Like everyone
else, I've been on that quest for the best all-around antenna that
really doesn't exist. Right now I use a 42-ft, longwire, attic
antenna that's feed with 450-Ohm feedline that terminates in a tuner
(T-network) in a closet near the receiver. I use 50-Ohm coax between
the tuner and receiver, which is also my amateur transceiver. I
"tune" the antenna using an MFJ-259 analyzer. Why did I settle for
this system:

- It fits in my attic. - It's radiation patterns are dipole-like on
the bands I listen to (and operate on as an amateur). - I don't fear
lightning strikes. - It isn't in the weather, so it isn't a
maintenance problem. - I don't run high power as an amateur, and
operate mostly CW, so efficiency isn't a big issue for me. - It's
stealthy.

Giving up is pointless.

--
Telamon