Old August 21st 03, 12:41 PM

Please think carefully about your reply.

Energy = Force x Distance

When I push the block in a square pattern, the distance is the sum of
the sides of the square.

When I push the block in a circle, the distance is the circumference,
which is 2 x pi x Radius.

If, after reviewing the above, you still think the radius needs
squaring, please explain why the equation for energy when pushing
in a circle is different than that for pushing in a square.

As an exercise, consider pushing in a triangle pattern, a square
pattern, pentagon, hexagon, heptagon, octagon, ....

Each pattern above is getting closer and closer to being a circle;
at which pattern does the equation for Energy change from being
the distance moved to being twice the enclosed area?

And I forgot to say...

In a rotary system, it is often deemed convenient to think of Distance
in terms of rotations or angular displacement.

Torque is just a way of thinking about Force so that you can use
angular displacement instead of distance.

....Keith