Old September 16th 04, 04:42 PM
Lucky

Nice looking the 550. If it doesn't use a tuning knob, what is it scan only
or direct entry?

Are they quality made? Never heard of Harris sorry to say. I wish I could
buy them all.

I appreciate the offer Mark, thanks.

I switch around radios like every 2-3 weeks but this new remote for the
R-5000 really is nice. Hard to put it down!

I'm going to do some research on it.

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:

Hi

I'm pretty new to SW radio. Not even a year into the hobby. I'm getting
more
and more into looking around for obscure SSB stations and weak muddy
stations. All in all I want to own the best within price constraints so I
know I'm working with good equipment and if I can't get a certain staion
in
it's my own fault and/or my antenna.

I think the NRD-525 is pretty good as well as the r-5000 really. I just
wondered if I bought the Drake and if I were in dark, would I notice
anything different about the Drake.

But you guys have given me the main reasons so far.

Well, for what you're looking to do, I think I'd consider something other
than the Drake.

Here's the radio I enjoy the most:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4673&item=57204600 58&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I know nothing about the seller, or the condition of his radio.

It's a lifestyle choice - it's probably a little larger than the Sat 800,
and weighs about 50 pounds. It has no memories - it doesn't even use a
tuning knob. But it's great at digging stuff out of the mud and making it
sound good. I've owned newer and
more expensive military radios, but never a better performer, or one that
was easier on the ears. It has sideband selectable sync detection, (They
call it AFC) and a fancy AGC circuit that doesn't get easily confused.

My other suggestion is smaller, more expensive, has convenience features
and if you put in the right filters can sound almost as good - the AOR
AR7030+
You'll pay about $1000 for a used one. I have one I set up as a
"transportable" for camping trips and vacations.

But for home use, if I could only have one, I'd go with a 550 - even if it
was more expensive than the 7030. (and it shouldn't be)

You might also consider an Icom R75. I've never tried one. Folks say
it's a great radio, but to get them to work the way they're supposed to,
you need to modify them with a couple dollars worth of parts. The idea
people who aren't engineers can greatly
improve a radio for pocket change is enough to keep me away. I'd revise
my feelings if Icom incorporated the most common mods in the next batch
they made.

If you're interested in radios, a good book to get is "Shortwave Receivers
Past and Present" by Fred Osterman. Universal Radio sells it. It has
basic information and specs for hundreds of radios. But it's overdue for
an update - many of the current
model tabletops aren't in it.

Good luck with your hunt, and if you end up with a 550, feel free to email
me for tips on how to use the AFC and coherent AGC. It's actually quite
easy, but I can save you an hour or two of guessing.