Old September 16th 04, 09:16 PM
Jari Savolainen

"Michael Bryant" wrote in message
Subject: What the hell is WA4009SWL?
From: "Jari Savolainen"

Something you get from a box of Rice Crispies?

A mental institution ID?

A redneck playing 007?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Jari Savolainen

Interesting that this is the topic of your first post to RRS. It's a
shortwave
group ID. Others in this NG use them, but I think I can understand why you
chose to harass me for having one.

Shortwave group ID? My God, this is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Imagine the following:

Phone rings,
WA4009SWL answers: WA4009SWL.
Caller: This is IQ0001SWL, WA4009SWL do you copy?
WA4009SWL: Roger.
Caller: Seems like Ma Bell is up and running today.
WA4009SWL: Roger.
Caller: 73's WA4009SWL.
WA4009SWL: 73's IQ0001SWL.

Phone rings again,
WA4009SWL answers: WA4009SWL.
Caller: This is the FCC. You've been sighted tuning shortwave frequencies
with your Freeplay radio. Is this accurate?
WA4009SWL: Roger.
Caller: In that case, can you hold out your shortwave license against the
kitchen window so that our reception inspectors can see it with their
binoculars.
WA4009SWL: Roger.
Caller: Put your underwear on, for heaven's sake!
WA4009SWL: Roger.
Caller: Everything seems to be in order aside from your appearance. You can
proceed with your tuning now. And keep your underwear on, fer chrissakes
man!
WA4009SWL: Roger.
Caller: 73's.
WA4009SWL: 73's.

Phone rings for the third time,
WA4009SWL answers: WA4009SWL.
Caller: This is your mother, stupid.
WA4009SWL: Rog...ehh, hi mom!
Caller: The FCC just called. Put your underwear on, stupid.
WA4009SWL: Yes mom!
Caller: Good bye, stupid!
WA4009SWL: 73's.

What a hoot. Only in America.