Old September 17th 04, 01:59 AM
Timoleon

Michael wrote:
"Lucky" wrote in message

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

Hiya, Lucky....

I don't know if you want your next new radio to be ideal for program
listening, DX'ing, utility or all three :-) You already have the NRD-525 and
the R-5000. I have used the R-5000 and I can say as you can that it is a
GREAT radio. I like it quite a bit. I have also used my friends R8A and
his R8B. I have read posts that say the R-5000 sounds as good as the R-5000
for program listening, but I dont think so. I think the R-5000 sounds very
good, and I think it is a very versatile radio, but I still dont think it
sounds as good as the R8A. As for the R8B... When you are program listening
and have conditions of fade and or strong adjacent signals, I have NEVER
heard anything deal with it as good as the R8B. It keeps it nice and steady
and the ssb selectable am sync allows you to listen to a signal that may be
getting splashed from above or below without having to put up with the
muffled sound that you get by going to a narrow filter setting. So... If
you want the "King" for program listening, I think the R8B will beat every
radio you have.

Now... If you want to do some serious DX'ing... I may be able to offer a
suggestion.... Currently, I use an R-75 with all the Kiwa mods... I have
found it to be good for both program listening and for DX'ing. For DX'ing,
I almost always use the R-75 in ssb mode. If found it to be great for doing
that. I think it is better for DX'ing then the R8 or the R8A and R8B. With
the Kiwa mods, it is also respectable as a radio for program listening. Not
as good as the R8 series for program listening, but it is adequate. The one
amazing feature of the R-75 given its good performance and features... The
Price... I got mine brand new with the free DSP module for just under
$500.00. But.... As of the past few months, I have really been interested in
getting a new true DSP rig for DX'ing. One of the first rigs I thought of
was the NRD-545. After some reading, advice and research, I have come to a
radio I didn't even know existed. I have not yet used it, but everything I
have read and heard shows that it would be exactly what I would hope for as
far as DX'ing performance.... It is the ICOM IC-746Pro. It seems to be a
primeDSP rig for DX'ing. I never would have thought to look at transceivers
as I am not a ham, but I have to admit, it looks to be the direction I want
to go in. I'm probably going to buy one soon. If I do get one, I'll
probably also study to get a ham ticket, being that it also has a
transmitter. It might be fun. Also.. I wouldn't buy a used radio, but I
have seen used 746Pro's selling for just under $1,000 bucks because there
are serious defects in the transmitter section. No problem there, though,
if you only want it for receiving. It would be a bargain to have a receiver
like that for under $1,000.

So.... For top quality program listening... The R8B.... For non DSP DX'ing,
The R-75. For DSP SUPER DX'ing, The 746Pro. For best over all versatility,
the R8B. For best value for dollar... R-75.

Hope that helps

I've had a similar experience the last few weeks --- hunting for a new
rig, and everything points in the direction of the Icom 746Pro, a
mediocre transceiver that is really an awesome receiver! I see them on
ebay for about 800 bucks... think I'll get one.

Tim