Old September 17th 04, 12:34 PM
dxAce

Mark wrote:

You could make yourself a di-pole. They have an inherent "noise-cancelling"
property about them. Any noise received in one half of the di-pole is picked
up by the other half as "equal and opposite" (180 degrees out-of-phase) and
cancels out the other, to some degree.

Depends on several other variables how well this effect works.

(Pretty much why double-coil pickups in electric guitars are inherently
quieter than single-coil).

Dipoles are best on only one small portion of a band. Not really all that good
for general all-round shortwave listening, though he could use it with the
tuner.

dxAce

Mark.

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello All:
I have an Icom R71A, that I am using with a 300' (plus or minus
10-20'). I have the antenna coming straight into the house, hooked to
a tentec antenna tuner and then to the receiver. Both the receiver and
the tuner are grounded. I would like to get some ideas on how to
reduce some of the static and to boost the signal on some of the
weaker stations. All suggestions would be gratefull.
Dave